29 June 2014

Tatting Shuttle

A friend of mine asked me if I could carve a tatting shuttle. Basically, a tatting shuttle is a flat, pointy piece of wood that holds some thread and allows to make knots and loops to produce a lace (at least that's my amateur point of view, I never tried it :D ).
I found a few nice pictures on the internet, e.g. here, and I started carving.
I used a piece of old cherry wood I found in the garden. But the result got out of control somehow. My friend said that the shuttle is too nice for tatting and she will wear it as a jewel...
I didn't have any drill to make the holes, so I dug them with reamer/punch on swiss army knife (that is the small pointy thing, usually next to a corkscrew). Most people never use it, but I find it very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment