21 June 2014

Spoon Collection


People collect various things for various reasons. I started to collect spoons some time ago, every spoon is made from different kind of wood. And every spoon has its own story...

It all began many years ago on a rover camp, on a spooncarving workshop. I got a nice piece of lime wood and I thought: it cannot be so difficult... I can carve a little, I have seen a few nice handmade spoons, so I'm sure my spoon will be the best!


The result was a little different, though. People carved spoons of all sizes and creative shapes, but the best spoon made by Svišť had a simple, clean design. I made something like a mini-ladle and a small odd-shaped ornamental spoon (third and second spoon from left).

And here is the winning spoon (I owe special thanks to my brother for looking up these pictures in his archive):


It sounds obviously, but a good spoon must fit into your mouth, be neither too deep nor too shallow, the handle must be comfortable to hold and a also be little curved, so that it can be used with a deeper soup plate.
Having learned all these things, I found a thick hazel branch and I carved the second spoon (and also the last, for a long time).

I returned to spoon carving only after we had to cut a few fruit trees from our garden and I wanted to use the nice wood for something creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment