12 December 2014

Growth Rings

Last time I wrote about radial cut and then I decided to write how the cut would influence the wood pattern on a carved spoon. Let's begin with an ordinary log:


There are different ways to carve a spoon from the highlighted part.

1) Radial cut: the spoon will have a pattern of parallel lines. Examples: 1, 2.


2) Tangential cut (pith above the spoon): this is quite logical choice, especially if you have smaller diameter wood. The outer rim is naturally curved to form a bowl and the inner angled part would form a handle (at least a narrow one). The resulting pattern may vary, depending on the diameter of the log: a spoon from a thicker log is on the left, a spoon from a thinner log on the right side. Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4.


However, if the log had a large diameter (e.g. a trunk of a big tree), the spoon may have an oval pattern. The ovals are crosswise to the spoon. Example: 1.


3) Tangential cut (pith below the spoon): if you have a larger diameter log, it is interesting to cut a spoon upside down. The spoon would have lengthwise oval rings in the bowl. Examples: 1, 2.


12 comments:

  1. Hey folks, I noticed a lot of visitors in the statistics for this post... I'd like to hear your opinion! Is the post useful? Are there any errors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wandrika. I'm just starting with spoon carving and find your post very helpful. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking that I love this - this is the kind of graphic I've been looking for to help me visualize the effect of different cuts of wood in the outcome of the spoon.

    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came across this via Pinterest. Very useful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know it was linked on Pinterest :)

      Delete
  5. I found this via Pintrest too! I was trying to determine handle strength and attractiveness of the bowl. It looks like max handle strength when all the grain is parallel but I like the bowl look when the bowl has consentric rings (as in the last picture. I'll have to play with it! Thanks for the post - I have some thinking to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Yes, you get the strongest handle with radial cut. But strength does not matter all that much unless you use the spoon for digging ice-cream (or so I have heard).

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the great graphics. It helped me understand the mysteries of grain orientation in the bowl. I'm looking forward to visiting the rest of your publications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I hope that other posts will help and inspire you as well.

      Delete
  7. Great information. I just found this through Pinterest

    ReplyDelete