27 September 2014

Peach Cooking Spoon

There's a lot of information about wood on the internet, however, peach wood is almost unknown. The only information I found is that it can be used for smoking meat. Other fruitwoods like apple, plum and cherry are often used for carving, though.
When I noticed an interesting brown color on a broken peach tree, I decided to try the wood for carving nevertheless.

The wood is medium hard and it has a very interesting smell, a bit like cherries and a bit like lapacho tea.

I used my new axe to level the twisted wood and to produce this spoon blank (yes, I need more practice, but it's much better and faster than it used to be).



The finished spoon has darker and lighter strips and also a nice texture. I plan to make an eating spoon as well and test if the wood is as good as plum or cherry for carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment